Why You Should Join A Genealogy Society
With more and more resources becoming available online through major genealogy sites, it may seem a bit old-fashioned to join a local genealogy society. But there is great value in seeking out and joining societies that are relevant to your family research. Membership provides funding to organizations that are working to provide their own collections to the masses, whether it be physical copies or digitized for online consumption, there are valuable resources hidden away at local levels that need to see the light of day.
Genealogy societies provide valuable services, often at great expense of time and money, to help the novice and professional researcher alike. Programs, classes, research aids, volunteer look-ups, magazines, and special events are all key components to a local society. Sadly, many societies are suffering from a lack of volunteers, a lack of funding, and a lack of interest in keeping a physical presence in a community. With the ever-growing interest in genealogy research, genealogy societies should be increasing in popularity and support - not decreasing.
Ways You Can Help:
- Join a society in your area.
- Join societies that are relevant to your family history research.
- Volunteer to transcribe records.
- Volunteer to do local query look-ups.
- Donate historical resources to societies.
- Attend programs and special events.
- Volunteer to be a geni-buddy and help someone else with their research.
- Donate to a society when they provide free resources to you.
- Become active and make history come alive for a new generation.