Marriage records can either knock brick walls down or reinforce them. Those little slips of paper can hold a treasure trove of family information and Wayne County researchers have multiple online resources at our disposal.
Typical information found on Michigan marriage records
(varies by record collection)
• Name of the bride and groom
• Date of marriage license
• Date and place of marriage
• Age of bride and groom
• Race of bride and groom
• Residence of bride and groom
• Birthplace of bride and groom
• Name of bride’s and groom’s parents
• Occupation of bride and groom
• Number of times previously married
• Name of person performing the marriage
• Witnesses to the marriage and their residence
Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
22,188 Wayne County marriage records
Michigan, Marriages, 1822-1995
440,926 Detroit marriage records
659,434 Wayne County marriage records
While this electronic index collection is not complete for all of Michigan, it is a wonderful resource for Wayne County.
Michigan, Marriages, 1868-1925
596,637 Detroit marriage records
748,724 Wayne County marriage records
Name index and images of marriages recorded in the State of Michigan. This is an excellent resource for Detroit researchers since the collection doesn’t just contain marriage records but marriage licenses, applications, registers, and certificates as well.
Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
22,006 Wayne County marriage records
The Wayne County records in this database cover the years 1851 through 1869.
Michigan Marriages to 1850
18 Wayne County marriage records
(Eh.. I guess better than none)
U.S. Special Census on Deaf Family Marriages and Hearing Relatives, 1888-1895
4,513 Detroit marriage records
If you are lucky enough to find your ancestors in this database, you’ll be delighted with the wonderfully detailed documentation.
Information recorded on U.S. Special Census on Deaf Family Marriages includes:
• Names of husband and wife
• Whether deaf or hearing
• Age at which deafness occurred and the cause of deafness
• If attended school
• Details relating to the couple’s marriage (including date and place)
• Details relating to couple’s children, parents, and their siblings
- number deaf or hearing
- dates of birth
- dates of death & cause of death
The Dibean Michigan Marriage Index
Jack and Marianne Dibean collected Michigan marriage information from various places over the years and researchers have sent them their ancestor’s marriage information to be organized into a free index that is available on MIGenWEB
Sometimes marriages just do not work and couples divorce. Usually to find Detroit divorce records information, researchers would most likely have to go to a courthouse or the State of Michigan Archives in Lansing. Since June 11, Michigan, Divorce Records, 1897-1952 has been on Ancestry.com and I’m sure many Genealogists/family historians did little happy dances as they located their ancestors.
Michigan, Divorce Records, 1897-1952
1,089,951 Wayne County marriage records
This database includes divorce records created by the Michigan Department of Health, Bureau of Records and Statistics, as well as court returns of divorces.
Information on the divorce records may include:
• county and court of decree
• names and ages of both parties
• marriage date and location
• number of children
• who filed the complaint and the date of filing
• date of the final action
• alleged cause of divorce
• whether case was granted, contested, refused, or withdrawn
• whether the divorce was granted absolutely or with conditions
The issuing court may have more detailed information on the event.